Re: lynx-dev Re: Help needed

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Help needed
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:31:21 +0100 (BST)

> On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 07:15:35AM -0700, henry caballero wrote:
> > Hi, my name is Henry Caballero, I'm investigating about Web browsers, how
> > it
> > works internally, I have downloaded the lynx2.8.3dev.1.zip version, but

Lynx is not really a suitable tool for studying basic principles (nor
are any of the other real life browsers).  If you are interested in
the network side, wget would be a much easier program to read.  If you
are interested in the rendering side, html2ps is less complex, although
still not easy.

Web browsers are complex, because they tend to have grown with the protocol,
because HTML has strayed from its original aim of being simple and because
the browsers have to cope with a lot of invalid input, as the browser
author tends to get blamed, not the writer of the broken HTML.