Re: lynx-dev LYNX, VMS 7.2 and Y2K

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX, VMS 7.2 and Y2K
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:24:31 +0100 (BST)

>         Please advise us as to whether the above-mentioned product(s) and
> version number(s) are suitable for OpenVMS/Alpha version 7.2 and whether they

If you want legally binding assurances, don't use free software; even
Microsoft don't give guarantees of fitness for purpose for their paid
software.  With something like Lynx, you must form your own opinions
of the ability of the volunteers who support it to ensure Y2K safety
(although you can assume that they believe there are no problems) and
you must estimate the likelihood that other people are using it on your
platform and will have raised bug reports if there are problems.

> are ready for the year 2000.  If they do not meet these requirements, please
> advise us as to what action we need to take to remedy this.

If it is mission critical, inspect the source code, or pay someone to do so.

Note there are an increasing number of companies who sell support for
free software, although I don't know of any that sell it for Lynx.  Just
remember that maybe more than half of Microsoft's costs are for support.