Re: lynx-dev GIFs corrupted with mime headers option

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GIFs corrupted with mime headers option
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:31:26 +0100

In message <address@hidden>,
           Klaus Weide writes:
> I tried to reproduce it, on linux, but couldn't.

I've just reproduced the download problem on FreeBSD with 2.8.2.  It seems
that Lynx junks the stream after the first high-bit-set character.

> (Or were you talking about running Lynx under DOS or Windowst?  In that
> case I can't help.)
>
> Can you make available the two version downloaded by lynx and wget,
> respectively, and the source URL, so someone can look at the difference.
> You have solved your problem, but not lynx's problem (if there is one).

http://lynx.browser.org/rp/original.gif        original gif
http://lynx.browser.org/rp/source.gif          downloaded with -source
http://lynx.browser.org/rp/mime_header.txt     downloaded with -mime_header

As you can see if you hex dump them, the mime_header one is basically junk
after the 0xC2 in the seventh byte.  I originally thought this was down to
the "text/plain" setting in HTTP.c, line 1711 or so.  Changing that to
"application/octet-stream" didn't make any difference, unfortunately.

Other than that, the only possible explanation I have is that maybe the
code assumes the data is 7bit clean?
--
rob partington % address@hidden % http://lynx.browser.org/