Re: lynx-dev 2.8.3dev.2 patch 5 - LYstrsep

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.3dev.2 patch 5 - LYstrsep
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:21:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Rob Partington wrote:

> In message <address@hidden>,
>            Klaus Weide writes:
> > Btw a version of Netscape Navigator seems to have just the "losing a
> > cookie value" bug I'm trying to prevent: cookies with empty values are
> > written to the cookie file, but disappear when the cookie file is read
> > the next time.  Storing cookies with empty value may not be very useful
> > in practice, but it seems to be the right thing, I didn't find anything
>
> I think this may be people trying to delete the cookie by sending the
> empty value.  It's not how you're supposed to do it, but it may be the
> most "obvious" way for someone who doesn't know the right way.

Yes, I know that that's been the assumption (but haven't seen any
indication of a site actually doing this - not that I've looked much).

Anyway, treating these as normal cookie values can't hurt - NN also
does that, it sends them back to the site, so sites that do set such
values already have to deal with receiving them back.  NN just forgets
about them across sessions.

And if they are also accompanied with an expiration date in the past, lynx
will drop them anyway.  (And if they are sent with no expiration date,
lynx won't store them.)

    Klaus