Re: lynx-dev An ftp browsing bug

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev An ftp browsing bug
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:59:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 08:48:13PM -0500, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Mike Castle wrote:
> > > I did a simple hack to have lynx use NLST for NT, but it just gave me:
> > >
> > >                                                                     /
> > > directory
> > >
> > > Current directory is /
> > >
> > >      * text/plain
> >
> > Hmm, I though Lynx was able to do something useful with just-filenames.
>
> My bad.
>
> Turns out that it was still parsing the output thinking it was the output
> of LIST.
>
> If I tell it to use NLST *and* move case WINDOWS_NT_SERVER: down by the
> default: in parse_dir_entry(), it works as advertised.
>
> It is even a simple fix until someone works out the details of possibly
> using SITE DIRSTYLE.
.... [patch snipped] ...

> One interesting thing that I saw netscape doing, however, was using size
> and modtime.  That might be a way of getting more interesting information
> about something besides the current strategy of just giving up.
>
> Example, if SIZE return nothing, then leave alone (don't know if SIZE is
> broken or a directory), but if it did return something, we can fill in size
> and assume a mime-type like we do for everything else.
>
> Of course, that's a LOT more ftp traffic.  Not to mention, probably a bitch
> to implement.

The 'LOT more ftp traffic' is very good reason for not doing it.  It would
mean lots of round trips and waiting.

> Oh, btw, I found another style of site that causes problems.  The mirror
> package refers to it as a "dls" style.  From mirror.html:
>
>   remote_fs=dls
>
> 00index.txt      189916
> 0readme            5793
> 1_x/                  = OS/2 1.x-specific files
>
>    This is an ls variant used on some Un*x archives. It provides
>    descriptions of known items in the listing. Set [174]flags_recursive
>    to -dtR.
>
> One site that does this is ftp://ftp.icsi.berkeley.edu.  (Of course, their
> login message about using ls -lg instead doesn't work).

It works for me with 'nlist -lg' which my client sent as 'NLST -lg'.
But I didn't see any string in that server's responses that could be
used to trigger attempting this in lynx (except for the human-readable
greeting message, I doubt we want to parse that).

'NLST' without arguments also works as expected.  But the same applies,
the server claims to be Unix so Lynx treats it as such.

Squid 2.1.2 has a problem with this server, too.

   Klaus