Re: lynx-dev Re: clicktv search (was nothing)

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: clicktv search (was nothing)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 02:45:58 -0500

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 02:32:04PM -0500, Bruce Toews wrote:
> > i had no problem getting cable services for ZIP 98105 in Seattle.
> Getting the program listings works fine. But *searching* for a program
> does not. Like when you call up the search screen, type in Jeopardy in the
> blank provided, and click on "begin search", you get the search entry
> screen instead of the search results screen.

Btw, I get this same result with wget as well.  Granted, I'm cheating and
using a GET instead of POST, but usually that works.  (Sidebar:  Should
rewriting a POST as a GET URL work.  I know that sometimes it does, but do
the specs require it?)

Personally, I usually use www.tv1.com, but they've been slow to change over
to the local cable companies new channel lineup.  And clicktv was the first
one I've tried that had the correct ones.

I did a tcpdump with NS and lynx and the results are:
NS:
POST http://www.clicktv.com/ctv30/results.cfm HTTP/1.0
Referer: http://www.clicktv.com/ctv30/search.cfm?ctv_user_id=123456
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

ctv_user_id=123456&date=06-27-99A07-11-99&time=&type_id=&keyword=xena&Chan_Ref=&SType_1=1&SType_2=1

To which clicktv sends back appropriate content...

However, for lynx:
POST http://www.clicktv.com/results.cfm HTTP/1.0
Host: www.clicktv.com
Accept: text/html, text/plain, audio/x-realaudio, audio/x-pn-realaudio,
text/sgml, video/mpeg, image/jpeg, image/tiff, image/x-rgb, image/png,
image/x-xbitmap, image/x-xbm, image/gif, application/postscript, */*;q=0.01
Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress

ctv_user_id=123456&date=06-28-99A07-12-99&time=&type_id=&keyword=xena&Chan_Ref=&SType_1=1&SType_2=1

To which clicktv responds:
HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.5.1