Re: lynx-dev Quick Question on using -dump & -auth

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Quick Question on using -dump & -auth
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:14:25 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, MR SCOTT   FENTON wrote:

> Two weeks ago I submitted a "LYNX-DEV QUICK QUESTION ON USING -DUMP -AUTH
> TOGETHER" and received a very helpful response.  I write again because, as
> logical as the ideas were, the problem remains and is actually starting to
> look like a bug that might affect other aspects of lynx.
>
> The original problem was:
>[ snipped ]
> I took the suggestion to make the path more explicit (i.e., add "http:"), add
> "-cookies", and place the "-trace" option in the command line.  The result was
> the same.  The trace option issues an enormous volume of output which I could
> include, as impenetrable as it seems to me, but the problem seems more
> fundamental.  Somehow when you add the "-dump" command to the command, lynx
> seems to lose sight of the authentication if it has to bounce around too many
> links (i.e., if the URL is one of those long, confusing URLs with "&"s, "?"s,
> and/or "!"s).  It works if you do not have complex URLs.
>
> Would anyone have any suggestion how I might pursue this without wasting the
> development community's time?  Thanks very much for any insight.

If they are too long for mail, put the two Lynx.trace files up for HTTP or FTP
access, so someone can look at them.  Yo may want to sanitize them first
though in case they contain passwords etc. you want to keep secret
(replace encoded stuff in "Authorization: " lines with '*', but document
where you did so.).

Since you say this happens (only?) when lynx "has to bounce around too many
links", it would be nearly impossible for someone to diagnose what's
going on without those logs.  Since we don't have your password (and other
stuff the behavior may depend on) we can't just reproduce what happens.

   Klaus