Re: file://localhost/usr/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/lynx-dev.html

From: mattack
Subject: Re: file://localhost/usr/doc/packages/lynx/lynx_help/lynx-dev.html
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 address@hidden wrote:
>Hi i had an idea and i'm sure that other people have e-mailed you about this
>already but did you ever think of including FRAMES support and JAVA support
>in your browser.

Lynx *DOES* support frames, just differently from what you would expect.

You "zoom" into a specific frame at a time.  You don't see all of the frames
at once.  While this adds a little bit more work when browsing with Lynx,
it's far far far better than NO support.

Do you mean Java or JavaScript?  They are similarly named but COMPLETELY
UNRELATED.  There has been some discussion about JavaScript recently but
nobody's done all of the work to implement it.

If you mean Java, there's little chance of someone implementing that, since
at least as I understand it, Java mostly depends upon a graphical user
interface.  If someone were willing to write AWT (the "user interface toolbox"
for Java) that were text-based, this might be doable...  but it's a lot
of work.

By the way, instead of just asking for features to be added, try adding them
yourself.  (Though I will admit my one attempt at a feature yesterday didn't
work and I haven't seen a response yet from someone who understands the Lynx
code.)

address@hidden