Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug : automatic following of links?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug : automatic following of links?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:37:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Hans Ecke wrote:

> I'd like to report what I _think_ is a bug in lynx. I'm not really
> familiar with the inner workings of either lynx or http so I just describe
> what I see.
>
> First some environment :
> Lynx 2.8rel2 on AIX 4.3. The machine in question is a computer center
> unix-server, i.e. multiuser mail/shell/... server.

You don't say how you are connected to that AIX machine.

> Now the test html-file. I can reproduce the bug with it 100%
> <HTML> <BODY>
> yahoo
> </a>

Note that, in order to correctly encode the URL attribute in HTML, that
line should be written as:

(Some older clients may not un-escape this correctly, but most modern
ones do afaik.)

> evangelion
> </a>
> </HTML> </BODY>
>
> What I encounter with the html-file above :
> 1.) I see what I'm supposed to see : an empty page except for two links in
> the top line : yahoo and evangelion. the cursor is on the first link.
> 2.) I press "cursor-down". For what I know lynx is supposed to just move
> the cursor to the second link, however what happens is
> 3.) at least 3 different pages at www.webring.org show up without me doing
> anything, especially not pressing any key like "enter" or "cursor-right".
> I land at last at some kind of feedback-page. Sometimes the bottomline
> asks me if I "want to send an comment [n]". If I try to go back to the
> original page via "cursor-left" it is of course impossible because I come
> back with the cursor on the offending link and (3) happens all over again.

This sounds like a combination of the problem discussed in the thread
       "Why does Lynx do it? (fwd)"
(in the <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0699/> archives) with
Lynx 2.8 interpreting the "&ring" as a character entity (as it properly
should) and trying to display the resulting URL (containing an 8-bit
character) on the statusline.

The recent Lynx 2.8.2 doesn't do this, it does not un-escape the
"&ring" followed by '=' because not escaping '&' characters in HREF
attribute values is such a frequent error in HTML documents.

       Klaus