Re: lynx-dev problem executing lynx with su nobody

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem executing lynx with su nobody
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:53:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Joseph Lam wrote:
> I'm using RedHat 6.0 and my lynx is 2.8.1rel.2. When I try to run lynx
> from a CGI script, the script will just hang. I also can't start lynx
> after a 'su nobody'. I didn't have that problem with RH5.2 which comes
> with 2.8.1pre.9
>
> What should I do to allow lynx run under 'su nobody'?

- These may be two separate problems.

- It's unclear what "I can't start lynx" means.  What happens if you
  try?

- Run the 2.8.1pre.9 version.

- Try to find out where it hangs:
  - use lynx -trace (possibly together with -tlog and redirecting stderr)
  - use strace on the process

- Does 'nobody' have a valid $HOME directory?  Can 'nobody' write to
  /tmp (or $TMPDIR, or $LYNX_TEMP_SPACE)?  (This is a stretch, both
  shouldn't be required to at least start it, especially in non-
  interactive mode.)

- Recompile from source, maybe the binary is compiled in a strange
  way.

- Try 2.8.2, the problem may have been fixed.

   Klaus