Re: lynx-dev proposal for LYK_SCRIPT and patch

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev proposal for LYK_SCRIPT and patch
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:50:50 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > right, wait until someone takes the painful task of writing the code, we
> > can give them a script that will solve their problem, while the real
> >   I can send more explicit examples if you want me to, just ask.
>
> I would like some examples that show that something cannot be done by
> already extant methods.  Combined with a menu script giving any number
> of choices for action on a document of a certain protocol, EXTERNAL
> can do an awful lot already (Doug Kaufman, Thu, 15 Oct 1998).  The
> same can be said of PRINTER and DOWNLOADER (e.g. http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/
> ~patakuti/lynx/enhanced/t2thtml).

 I want to say that I planned to implement the same functionality (more
exactly - I wanted the functionality to be implemented :). IMO it would be
better if there was an ability to pipe the file being downloaded through
filter - this will allow (for some sort of filters) the page to be displayed
incrementally. But proposed model is good too - it allows different filters to
be applied any number of times to the source (seems to me so - I guess that
source is replaced in the cache, loosing the original file).

 The proposed functionality can't be achived using the features lynx has
currenly - none of the commands lynx has now is able to feed any html text
into the instance of lynx your are running (so you'l loose cookies, history,
etc).

 So, I like functionality of LYK_SCRIPT.

 Personally to HN (seems that I can add this sentence to my .signature :) you
are free not to use the proposed functionality.

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad