Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug : automatic following of links?

From: Hans Ecke
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug : automatic following of links?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:07:34 -0600 (MDT)

Hi!

I have included the trace of the erroneous html-file.

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Hans Ecke wrote:
> > First some environment :
> > Lynx 2.8rel2 on AIX 4.3. The machine in question is a computer center
> > unix-server, i.e. multiuser mail/shell/... server.
>
> You don't say how you are connected to that AIX machine.
I'm sitting at a MSDOS-Win3.1 PC connected via LAN-Ethernet, i.e. I have
my own IP address. The programm I'm using is the terminal emulator QVTW or
WinQVT/Net. Terminal emulation is VT220-7. $TERM on the Unix server is
xterm or vt220 or vt100 (does not have significance). Display character
set in lynx is ISO Latin 1. Whether or not I have raw8bit or cjk set does
not seem to have significance.
I can't compile my own new lynx due to small harddisc quota.

> Note that, in order to correctly encode the URL attribute in HTML, that
> line should be written as:
> <a
> href="http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?id=1&amp;ring=mando&amp;next5";>
This seems to solve the problem.

> > What I encounter with the html-file above :
> > 1.) I see what I'm supposed to see : an empty page except for two links in
> > the top line : yahoo and evangelion. the cursor is on the first link.
> > 2.) I press "cursor-down". For what I know lynx is supposed to just move
> > the cursor to the second link, however what happens is
> > 3.) at least 3 different pages at www.webring.org show up without me doing
> > anything, especially not pressing any key like "enter" or "cursor-right".
> > I land at last at some kind of feedback-page. Sometimes the bottomline
> > asks me if I "want to send an comment [n]". If I try to go back to the
> > original page via "cursor-left" it is of course impossible because I come
> > back with the cursor on the offending link and (3) happens all over again.
>
> This sounds like a combination of the problem discussed in the thread
>        "Why does Lynx do it? (fwd)"
> (in the <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0699/> archives) with
> Lynx 2.8 interpreting the "&ring" as a character entity (as it properly
> should) and trying to display the resulting URL (containing an 8-bit
> character) on the statusline.
>
> The recent Lynx 2.8.2 doesn't do this, it does not un-escape the
> "&ring" followed by '=' because not escaping '&' characters in HREF
> attribute values is such a frequent error in HTML documents.

So I guess I just have bad luck? Can you recommand a strategy to deal with
malformed links like the one above?

Thank you very much for your patience and time

Sincerely

Hans