Re: lynx-dev [dev.3] a couple of buglets

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [dev.3] a couple of buglets
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:03:14 -0400 (EDT)

> I finally have a bit of time to play with some of KW's new keymapping
> stuff, as well as other new things in lynx, so I built dev.3, and ran
> into a couple things that need fixing ...
>
> 1. Thought I would see what --enable-change-exec was all about, as I
>    can't really tell from the CHANGES what it's supposed to do, but
>    with that compile flag on, on FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE using gcc 2.7.2.1,
>    I get:

ugh.  (I did test-compile that when I added the configure script option - I
_should_ test-compile all options when I do a patch, but often find that I've
run out of time or diskspace to do it every time - sorry).

> >gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/home/kimdv/lib/slang/include
> >-DLOCALEDIR=\"/home/kimdv/share/locale\"  -I.  -I..  -Ichrtrans
> >-I./chrtrans  -I..  -I../src  -I../WWW/Library/Implementation    -O3 -c
> >./LYOptions.c
> >./LYOptions.c: In function `LYoptions':
> >./LYOptions.c:429: `local_exec' undeclared (first use this function)
> >./LYOptions.c:429: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> >./LYOptions.c:429: for each function it appears in.)
> >./LYOptions.c:430: `local_exec_on_local_files' undeclared (first use this
> >function)
> >./LYOptions.c: In function `postoptions':
> >./LYOptions.c:3643: `local_exec' undeclared (first use this function)
> >./LYOptions.c:3645: `local_exec_on_local_files' undeclared (first use this
> >function)
> >./LYOptions.c: In function `gen_options':
> >./LYOptions.c:4446: `local_exec' undeclared (first use this function)
> >./LYOptions.c:4448: `local_exec_on_local_files' undeclared (first use this
> >function)
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop.
> >*** Error code 1
> >
> >Stop.
>
> all of which is probably due to missing prototypes and/or a .h that should
> be included (but isn't).
>
> Compile is just fine w/o the --enable-change-exec flag.
>

> 2. When I do a "make install-help" I get two copies of the COPYHEADER and
>    COPYING files ... one copy in the lynx_help dir, and another copy in
>    the lynx_doc dir ("make install-help" didn't used to create the lynx_doc
>    dir, but it does now).

I have a to-do item to make a symbolic link for one (Henry's pointed this out).
iirc, I added the configure test for 'ln -s', but didn't do the followup
work on makefile.in

>    Not a real big deal, but it is a complete waste of ~18.5k ...
>
>    I still think a ref to the actual docs' home sites was a better, less
>    wasteful way to go, but I guess I lost that argument.  In any case,
>    making two copies is *really* unnecessary ... :-) ...

I thought the ref was a good idea, but the overall consensus pointed to the
actual docs (it settles those arguments about what copyright applies to
Lynx if the home site changes their wording, or removes the file).

> Sorry no patches for the above are included ... I really want to get on
> with playing around with the keymapping stuff, and I'm sure whoever made
> the recent changes for the above items can gen a fix alot faster than I
> can.

sort of (I'm sitting in a 4-day course checking my email - but I can do my
own test-compile for the first problem while I'm letting my brain rot).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden