lynx-dev user interface pages (was: - reusing temp files)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev user interface pages (was: - reusing temp files)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 04:02:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 30-Jun-99 04:08 Klaus Weide wrote:
> > Also I have doubts that adding more and more Lynx-private URL
> > schemes is such a good thing.
>
> Yes.
> But we need internal screens for certain information anyway,
> we are just fortunate to use html format since we can handle it well.

So much so that the Options Menu got re-implemented in a html version.

> The actual mechanism of calling such pages should be hidden from user
> (IMHO hidden from History Page, statusline, etc) unless a user
> explicitely want to see it for testing purposes.
> Only lynx should call such pages.
> With this backgroung there is no significant difference
> the way it was implemented: via Lynx-private URL or temp files...

URLs leak to the outside world: in referer headers, in mail messages,
and maybe more.  If something is a file URL, it is at least obvious
that it is a local file; and for refere headers, it is automatically
subject to -nofilereferer.

Just another aspect to consider.  I don't see any great  need to change
anything for the stuff that is implemented, since it is working.
But consider it for the next time you add something like LYNXMESSAGES. :)
There is no point in hiding the fact that some pages are actually
local files from users.  I don't remember ever seeing a message by
someone who was confused by it.

   Klaus