lynx-dev Re: multiple bookmark files

From: Michael Warner
Subject: lynx-dev Re: multiple bookmark files
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 02:19:27 -0700

On or about 02 Jul, 1999, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Where is there documentation on the multiple bookmarks functionality?
> I looked in the docs directory in the source but it's not described there.

help -> user's guide -> lynx bookmarks has some stuff, but
better you should go to your lynx.cfg and read the
DEFAULT_BOOKMARK_FILE, MULTI_BOOKMARK_SUPPORT, and
BLOCK_MULTI_BOOKMARKS entries.  And you will achieve
enlightenment :).

> Basically, I turned on the multi-bookmark file functionality in
> options and looked around.  (Because I don't know how it works, I can't
> tell the difference between standard and advanced.)

Briefly, I believe "standard" always gives you the menu of
available files, and "advanced" lets you just enter the
letter of the file, if you know it.  Hence, if you use the
advanced bookmarks, it's worth a little effort to make your
your categories match the associated letter, for mnemonic
purposes (lynx related bookmarks in "L", news stuff in "N",
whatever).

> Minor minor bug -- if you create an additional entry in the bookmarks
> list, Lynx doesn't create the file that you specify.  Maybe that would be
> a good idea to prevent what happens when you try to choose a letter to
> a file that doesn't exist:
> It seems to silently show you your original bookmark file, but doesn't
> refresh the screen.  So you see only the first link in your regular bookmarks
> file hilighted, on top of the Select Bookmark File screen.

You might want to double-check that... I don't think I have
that problem.  Back in a few....

Nope, works for me.  Assuming you've got multi-bookmarks enabled
in lynx.cfg (or userdefs.h when you compiled (assuming you
compiled yourself)), go to the options screen, set your choice
of standard or advanced bookmarks, go to the edit bookmarks
entry, pick a letter (T), give a name for the category (Testing
Bookmarks), enter, give the path/filename - the path should match
what's given for your default bookmark file (./lybm/test.html),
enter, accept the changes (>), check the save to disk box, and
accept the changes.  The file is created when you save a bookmark
to it (or when you quit lynx, I assume).  Sound like what you
did?  It's been a while since I started from scratch, but I just
tried it as above with an unused letter (T), no problems.

> Mostly, I'm wondering if there's some "easy" way I can move a whole bunch of
> bookmarks around (even one by one).  I'm finally sick of my 142-line bookmarks
> file, of which about 5 I go to regularly, the rest being stuff I intend to
> "look at later" (like a history of spacewar I just skimmed 20 pages of 33 and
> added a bookmark to go back later), or stuff I infrequently use.

I know the feeling... only 142 lines?  Wimp!

One at a time - you can bookmark the links in a bookmark
file: when you're on the link you want to put elsewhere,
"a"dd, "l"ink, etc., when you're back on the original link -
"R"emove it.  Repeat as necessary. Voila.

En masse - you can edit the bookmark files directly.
Several cautions apply - watch you don't mess up the format.
I use vim, and can split the window between the "from" and "to"
files, and then yank/put/delete between the two.

> Anyway, sorry for the rambling -- basically, how do I figure out how to
> actually use this cool functionality?

HTH.

--
Michael Warner <address@hidden>