Re: lynx-dev ija - a better dejanews archive interface (FYI)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ija - a better dejanews archive interface (FYI)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:35:18 -0600

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999, David Woolley (address@hidden) said:

| > so I thought I'd take a look at it (especially with the ugly changes
| > that dejanews has been making to their interface).
|
| At least one reason for these is to prevent third party tools from
| bypassing the adverts (others are so as to force you to search the
| page and therefore be more likely to see the adverts).  If this command
| line tools is successful (and command line tools generally are not these
| days), deja.com will take counter measures to prevent it working.

Perhaps.

OTOH, they explicitly provide instructions on how to link their search
engine to one's own pages in their ToS.  See, for example, their page
on "linkback" at <http://www.deja.com/info/linkback.shtml>, and note in
particular the example they give to "Joe's Home Page" near the bottom
of that page at link/anchor [45].

Of course they can always do things like altering the format of the data
they ship back periodically, just to make filtering out the "junk" an
ongoing chore, but short of rejecting all non-local referers (which would
negate their "linkback" features, as well), I don't see them eliminating
access by such "third party tools".  Especially considering that such
tools are probably used by only a very small percentage of their visitors
(those who actually *use* an archaeic shell/cli interface, in preference
to the latest spiffy GUI browser ... :-) ...).

As may be, here's another interface into their search engine, that is
more along the lines of their *old* "power search" interface:

 <http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/deja.html>

Just another handy tool to add to your search toolbox ...

/kim