Re: lynx-dev Transport links between bookmark files... Here's the code

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Transport links between bookmark files... Here's the code
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:58:39 -0600

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| I've never done this before (or even used diff much), so please inform me
| about what I'm doing wrong, while hopefully not blowing my idea out of the
| water..

Without commenting on the merits of your patch, when posting patches,
please use "unified" (or at least "context") diffs.  And let diff do
the work of matching original and updated files.

Setup two dirs with the lynx distribution in each, named something like
lynx2.8.3dev.3.orig  and  lynx2.8.3dev.3.work.

Make all your changes within the *.work dir, and when you're satisfied
with the changes, do a "make distclean" in *.work, and check for any
extraneous files that that "make" might have missed cleaning up, such as
backup files from editing, etc.

Then, when in the dir that contains both the above mentioned dirs, do
something like:

 diff -uNr lynx2.8.3dev.3.orig lynx2.8.3dev.3.work >patch

and check that no extraneous files have been picked up in the process
with something like:

 grep +++ patch

which should give you a list of the changed/added files that you expect.

Then post that file, with any explanation about it.  Do NOT "cleanup"
the patch file to remove blank lines, trailing spaces/tabs, etc.

Poof ...!

/kim

PS: I let others comment on your patch, per se.  I use my trusty emacs
    to organize my bookmark files ...