lynx-dev `looking up ... '

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev `looking up ... '
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:45:37 -0400 (EDT)

a simple basic question about an occasional occurence:
why am i told `Looking up www.ft.com' when other URLs are found readily?
my understanding has been that Lynx sends an inquiry to the local DNS
for the numerical equivalent of the URL, then sends its request to that site,
so if it can't find FT, it shouldn't be able to find other URLs either
-- the DNS may be unavailable for some reason -- ,
but simultaneously it has no problem with New Scientist (also in the UK).
why is it stalled over one URL, but not others apparently similar?
can anyone more familiar with the technical workings of the Internet
provide enlightenment, hopefully of interest to others besides me?

please DO NOT MISINTERPRET: i do know how to interrupt a look-up.