Re: lynx-dev Re: Transport links between bookmark files...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Transport links between bookmark files...
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 06:12:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
[ quoted text snipped ]
> this is all very sensible, but the real problem is deeper:

Maye be a real problem, but a different one.

> Lynx needs to adopt the system of Screen, Vi & other software,
> having a basic `command mode' introduced eg by `:',
> which then expects an explicit written-out lynxactioncode,
> with easier keymapping -- eg in  .lynxrc  -- by the user.
> then ALL commands would be accessible to everyone by using `:',
> but users could choose their own personal keybindings as they wished.
>
> yes, it needs programming, but how difficult would it be?
> are there any problems or objections?

It doesn't just need programming, it also needs design.  Once you
introduce a `:', you're introducing a whole new language.  At least I
assume that allowing to type in just one lynx action by name would be
pointless.  You want to combine several of them.  You want to pass
parameters to them.  You want to control what happens in case of errors.
Then come conditional constructs and so on.

You may not want all of that now.  But to some (varying) degree, that
seems to be what Screen, Vi & other software do, they all have their
own little (or not-so-little, especially when we include emacs)
mini-language.

So design a language that's flexible enough to handle the immediate
needs you are thinking of, as well as being extensible without
becoming totally weird.  Or borrow it from some other program, if you
find one that is comparable enough, and modify as needed.  Then maybe
someone will start implementing it.

   Klaus