Re: lynx-dev Editing TEXTAREA Fields

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Editing TEXTAREA Fields
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:49:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> The Users Guide says:
>
>    Editing TEXTAREA Fields
>           TEXTAREA fields can be edited using an external editor
>           by entering ^Ve when in the TEXTAREA.
>
> When I enter the '^V', I get on the status line:
>
>    Enter Lynx keystroke command:
>
> So far, so good.  Then I press 'e', and get:
>
>    User message: Lynx cannot currently (e)dit remote WWW files.
>
> I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.  Is the UG in error?

Yes, it is currently inconsistent with the code.  (I assume you talk
about the current dev. package.)

Please search in CHANGES for "ways to invoke external texarea editing"
and read that section...

Shorter answer: keymap 'e' to DWIMEDIT to get behavior consisten with UG.

The plan is to make a generic function for producing "For X press Y" type
messages, that would automatically find the binding (or select one of
several) appropriate to the situation, i.e. whether in a form text field
or not.  BIndings for some keys would then not have to be hardwired into
the UG.

   Klaus