Re: lynx-dev (Forward) modify to draw table

From: Erik Rossen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev (Forward) modify to draw table
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:01:16 +0200

If the point of the exercise is simply to see neatly formatted tables
under Lynx, perhaps you should consider improving one of the existing
TABLE-formatting proxies.  I guess you've already heard about them, but
just in case you haven't, there exist a few proxy daemons that filter
TABLEs in http requests and substitute PRE-formatted text blocks that
come out quite nicely under Lynx.

The best one that I've come across was implemented in awk (or gawk) and
is called lxtab0.5.  I found it in the Lynx developer homepages.  Try
http://www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp/.  It seems to have been abandoned by
it's author, so I guess he wouldn't mind if you used it as a starting
point.  The main problem with this program is that it is slow.  If you
wanted to convert it to C, it would probably be much faster.  Isn't
there an awk2c translator out there?

I don't think the proxy solution would work well under DOS or Windows,
but it would be nice for the rest of us...

Hope this helps.
--
Erik Rossen                            ^
address@hidden                    /e\