Re: lynx-dev question about justifying CJK texts

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev question about justifying CJK texts
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 20:57:41 +0500 (SAMST)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> >  I like justified text.
>
> So do I, but that is a job for my word processor, not Lynx, IMHO.
>
> >  You say that in CJ spaces are not put between words. Is there any word
> > separator for CJ texts (or they are visually monolithic, or screen driver
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If I understand correctly what you mean by that.  Anyway it is obvious

  By being "visually monolithic" I mean having no gaps between words.

> what the words are, and at least in Japanese, splitting a word at the
> end of a line is no problem.  Look in a college library or larger library
                                          ^^^^^^^
                                          Hmm, college ...

  I have no access to any japanese newspaper. Can your render (say into .gif)
a page for me? I can't believe that words are not aligned at the right margin
too.

> for a Japanese newspaper.  No hyphens will tell you that justification
> has no meaning.  Because of this, the use of white space takes on a
> different meaning(s).
>
> >  I'm not sure whether it will be easy to implement turning off justifying
> > for
> > CJK texts only (but of course user will have ability to turn off
>
> Well, that is where I "failed", i.e., in the case where Japanese and ASCII
> are mixed.  I still prefer the hack to not having it since I seldom look
> at Japanese documents that have a significant amount of English in them.
>
> > AAA
> > BBB
> >
> > will be rendered into
> >
> > AAABBB
>
> or AAABB        or   AA
>    B               ABBB.
>
> It's at: http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/hacks/nospace4yn.gz

 And what about EXP_JAPANESE_SPACES in HTML.c? Is that stuff working?

> __Henry

 Best regards,
  -Vlad