lynx-dev www.gist.com and schwab

From: mattack
Subject: lynx-dev www.gist.com and schwab
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

First of all, the main lynx installed (with SSL) is
Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 (1998).. though I have my changed version of Lynx
2.8.3 (without ssl) built also.

Anyway..

1) Can anyone connect to www.gist.com?  For a week or so I haven't been able
to.. It just sits FOREVER (literally hours) at "HTTP/1.1 200 OK".

I _was_ able to connect with a GUI browser here at work, though once it just
spun for a while until it timed out.

Basically, I told them about it and they said it must be a problem at my ISP,
I just find that hard to believe.  Why could I not connect to _that_ site but
connect elsewhere fine?

2) Once again I can't log into my schwab acct with Lynx, even spoofing
Netscape..  Umm, strange.. NOW IT IS WORKING.  It wasn't yesterday
(giving the "need cookies" kind of message).   Though they did change the
layout of their site a little bit, maybe it was in flux somehow?

Sorry to ramble so much.. but I guess with this one I'll still ask a general
question.  If I have SSL stuff installed, and am giving the Netscape useragent
string ("Mozilla/4.04 [en]" specifically), what could they be doing to
determine what I'm using?   Basically I want to find out what I could fix
if anything to make it ALWAYS work.

Heck, being able to use it with Lynx (usually) is the major reason I keep my
Schwab acct..  Otherwise I'd use a GUI browser and use my
Javascript-infested Suretrade.com acct for $8 trades!