lynx-dev peculiar behavior

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: lynx-dev peculiar behavior
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 06:24:12 -0400 (EDT)

I won't call this a bug - just yet - but I do want to know if others
are seeing this behavior.

Man, where to begin?  I have no idea how to describe my environment to
someone who doesn't know me.  Let's see.

At this moment, I am on a Mac 68k machine, running MacOS 7.5.1, and using
NCSA Telnet.  I am telnetted to an Ultra SPARC running Solaris 2.6.  I
am running screen.  Within screen, I start up lynx 2.8.3dev.3 (compiled
with all sorts of options, including ncurses 5.0 beta).
I go to a form with an input textarea.  I press the sequence to go
into my editor, which is nvi 1.79.

I type along.  I need to pop out to look at something.  I press control Z
to halt nvi.  After finding what I need, I do a fg.

Instead of displaying nvi again, what I appear to be getting is this.

Input goes to nvi.

Output APPEARS to be coming from lynx - I see on the screen the empty
form I was getting ready to submit.  As I type, I see nvi messages.

So I write out the file I was working on and then quit nvi.  Now I appear
to be back to lynx fully.  But things still are not right.  Pressing
function keys results in the CSI strings (]B or whatever) appearing on
the screen.  When I finally manage to exit lynx, my terminal is left in
a raw terminal mode.

I understand that no one in their right mind is going to have my setup.

However, if anyout there is using lynx and even vi, could you try to
go into some form, type your 'use an editor to write this input ' lynx
action key, then do a control z to drop your editor into the background.
Then do a fg to bring it back into the foreground and see what you see
happening.
generate
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>