Re: lynx-dev user agent when running lynx via crontab entry?

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev user agent when running lynx via crontab entry?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:31:44 -0600

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999, David Woolley (address@hidden) said:

| Are you saying the forged user agent was unnecessary?  Then why use
| it in the first place.  IMDB do definitely block by user agent.
|
| I haven't tried Lynx on IMDB recently, but as far as I can tell the only
| reason it wouldn't get blocked is that there are so few people using it.

Funny ... I've been accessing the imdb for several years with lynx, and
never had a problem with being blocked, or needing to spoof the agent
field.

I regularly contribute to the imdb, as well, which was my initial motiva-
tion for adding all the TEXTAREA editing stuff ... so I could conveniently
make corrections to incorrect data that I'd find in some of the forms that
are used to list actress/actor roles, etc.

That's also why I started building -dev versions of lynx ... to get
persistent cookies (prior to that feature being in a general release),
when the imdb started using cookies for "contributor authentication".

What agents have they "definitely blocked" ...?

Maybe they only do "blocking" on the UK server(s) ... I've never tried
to force accessing one of them ...

/kim