Re: lynx-dev peculiar behavior - ^Z in editor

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev peculiar behavior - ^Z in editor
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:05:36 -0600

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| We should use sigaction() instead of signal() here when available.
|
| I hope this would remove the problem.  The "fix" might belong in ncurses,
| but fixing that would not help users of older ncurses and other curses
| libs.

OK ... a bit of isolation information on this bug:

I built a copy of lynx 2.8.3-dev.3 with ncurses-5.0-990710, and I do
indeed see behavior similar to what's been previously reported by LV
(and KW, and TD) on our FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE box, and using emacs as
the editor.

It (lynx) works just fine in my normal builds (which use slang 1.2.2)
on that system, and also on a couple different linux variants (also
using slang).

As a check on ncurses per se, I built up mutt 0.88.14i with the above
ncurses, but had no problems with ^Z'ing the editor, or any signal handling
problem whatsoever.

Soooo ... it certainly appears to be a lynx sig handling problem, but
*only* when built with ncurses.  Also, it seems to be fairly general in
nature, and not terribly system specific (seen on Solaris, linux, and now
FreeBSD).

I've not ktrace'd (aka strace) or gdb'd the bug, nor have I looked at
the code, since KW and TD seem to be on top of this, but if I can send
any specific info along, please let me know ...

/kim