Re: lynx-dev patch

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:43:00 +0500 (SAMST)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> >  Tom! This patch includes my previous patch.
> >
> >  The previous patch contained the following additions.
>
> yes (I recall this).  thanks.
>
> >  New functionality (absent in previous patch)
> > Notes:
> > 1) lynx.hlp should be regenerated after this patch. On my machine
> >   (RedHat6.0) invoking man2hlp.sh produces output different from shipped
> > with
> >   distribution.
>
> That's a (known) limitation of the script - nroff macros differ slightly
> from one machine to the next, making justification a little different.
> (But I think it's still preferable to maintaining the file by hand).
>
> > 6) From now seems support for lynx style sheets is very desirable (ie
> > ability
> >    to control indents of various text styles) - since justified text looks
> >    MUCH wider than non-justified. IMO the width of 'man' output is good.
>
> The width of 'man' output usually stops at column 65, and most output is
> indented to column 8.  (I recall some discussion that indicates this would
> be considered a waste of space).

 I meant that some way to set the values in style sheets without recompiling
lynx would be very useful. And yes, blind users stated that they wish output
as wide as possible.

> > 7) All functionality can be turned off at compile time - by defining
> >    NO_JUSTIFY, NO_DUMP_WITH_BACKSPACES, NO_EMPTY_HREFLESS_A,
> >    OPTNAME_ALLOW_DASHES=0, but Tom, don't make corresponding configure's
> >    settings from them (I don't want them to be experimental :)
>
> Maybe - but it would be nice to have a naming convention (and keep names
> shorter than 32 characters).  The OPTNAME_ALLOW_DASHES doesn't fit.

 All those macro names are shorter than 32 chars. Do you mean that instead of
OPTNAME_ALLOW_DASHES should be something like NO_DASHES_IN_OPTNAMES?

> --
> Thomas E. Dickey
> address@hidden
> http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey