Re: Lynx for MacOS for Visually Impaired

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Lynx for MacOS for Visually Impaired
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:27:42 -0400

At 01:27 PM 7/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>I have  a friend who is visually impared (suffers from retinitus
>pigmentosis) which makes him legally blind. Nevertheless, with a system
>extension on his Mac called inLarge, he is able to work normally, and in
>fact, run a successful recording studio.
>
>He has been surfing the web with Netscape,but the graphics are as you
>can imagine, terrible to control.  I told him about the Lynx browser,
>and he was thrilled to hear about it being strictly text based.  Could
>you tell me where I could get a copy of the beta version of Lynx for
>MacOS? Or if possible, could you send one to address@hidden
>He's indicated that he'd be more than happy to provide feedback.

The latest Mac Lynx I know of is available from

 http://www.lirmm.fr/~gutkneco/maclynx/

As listed at

 Lynx Binaries
 http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx/binaries.html

Which is one of the pages of "Lynx links" which you will find linked to
from <http://lynx.browser.org/> and your online H)elp pages for Lynx.

Please communicate with the Lynx developers via <address@hidden>.

Al

Random bits of Lynx orientation:

                                    Lynx

   Lynx is a text browser for the World Wide Web.  Lynx 2.8.2 runs on
   Un*x, VMS, Windows 95/98/NT but not 3.1 or 3.11, on DOS (386 or
   higher) and OS/2 EMX.  The current developmental version is also
   available for testing.  Ports to Mac are in beta test.

     * How to get Lynx, and much more information, is available at Lynx
       links.
     * Many user questions are answered in the online help provided with
       Lynx. Press the '?' key to find this help.
     * If you are encountering difficulty with Lynx you may write to
       address@hidden  Be as detailed as you can about the URL where
       you were on the Web when you had trouble, what you did, what Lynx
       version you have (try '=' key), and what OS you have.  If you are
       using an older version, you may well need to upgrade.

For more information:

Latest released version of Lynx:
  http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/

Current development version of Lynx:
  http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/

"Lynx links," a compendium and catalog of a lot of information related to
Lynx:
  http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx.html

The online Help for the current released version of Lynx:

http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-2/lynx2-8-2/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html

                         The Lynx Development Process

   Lynx is maintained and improved by an international co-operative of
   volunteers.  Newcomers are welcome to join the group: you needn't be a
   super programmer, but you should be prepared to listen and learn, as
   well as to contribute patches if you can.  Since everyone is a
   volunteer, you will usually be expected to try to implement any
   suggestions you make.

                           Lynx-Dev Discussion List

   The developers communicate through a majordomo mailing list -- see
   below for details -- , which is open to interested users as well as

   programmers.  Topics include fixing bugs, increasing Lynx's tools and
   powers, meeting the ever-changing demands of the Internet and porting
   Lynx to new systems.

   Anyone may read what has been said on the list by visiting the
   Archive.

                         Development Versions of Lynx

   Besides releases, which are stable versions of Lynx which come out
   once or twice a year and can be obtained from the release site, there
   are development versions, which are experimental -- though usually
   stable enough to use -- and appear every few weeks, depending on
   current activity.  You can find the latest development version of Lynx
   by visiting the development site.

                            Subscribing to Lynx-Dev

   If you are interested in joining the Lynx mailing list, send e-mail to
   address@hidden with only the following request in the body of your
   message:

     subscribe lynx-dev (e-address)

   where your e-address is optional if it can be obtained correctly from
   the mail headers of your subscription request.  You will need to answer
   one follow-up question to confirm you want to subscribe.  Majordomo
   will then enroll you and send all messages which you address to
   address@hidden to all subscribers; you will also receive all
   messages sent by other subscribers.

   NOTE: Subject headers are ignored when (un)subscribing.

                          Unsubscribing from Lynx-Dev

   following request in the body of your message:

     unsubscribe lynx-dev (e-address)

   where your e-address is optional if it can be obtained correctly from
   the mail headers of your subscription request.

                               Casual Inquiries

   Anyone may ask a question or offer a comment by sending e-mail to the
   list.  Since all subscribers are volunteers, you depend on their
   goodwill and will be more likely to get a response if you give the
   e-mail a meaningful `Subject' and include details of your version of
   Lynx, hardware and software. You can check the Archive to find any

   Messages from non-subscribers are not immediately distributed to avoid

   spam.  Usually, if your message appears genuine, it will be retrieved
   from the pile headed for the wastebasket within a day or so and
   distributed to the list.  For best results, subscribe as described
   above.

                              Majordomo Commands

   To receive a brief description of majordomo commands, send e-mail to
    address@hidden with only the following request in the body of
   your message:

     help

   You will receive by return e-mail a list of commands. Further
   information is available from the  majordomo website.

   If you have problems with majordomo not responding to requests, send
   e-mail to the list owner:  address@hidden  PLEASE DO NOT send
   them to address@hidden, where they would be distributed to everyone
   on the list, causing irritation by cluttering their mailboxes.

                             The Lynx-Dev Archive

   Messages posted to lynx-dev are archived in html format so that you
   can view them using Lynx: go to the HTML Archive.

                           Access by electronic mail

   If you must pursue information about Lynx without a working Web
   browser, please look for an email-to-Web gateway that works for you.
   More information on accessing the Internet by email is available from
   the access-via-email FAQ. This document is now available from several
   automated mail servers. To get the latest edition, send E-Mail to one
   of the addresses below.

   To: address@hidden (for US, Canada & South America)
   Enter only this line in the BODY of the note:
     send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email