Re: lynx-dev suggested addition to lynx.cfg

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev suggested addition to lynx.cfg
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:50:48 -0500 (CDT)

[kw:]

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:
> Not really.  It's my same ol' gripe that the configuration process
> has become so involved that people can justify a battery of management
> tools just for the one file lynx.cfg.

I don't see this making the configuration *process* any more involved.
I don't particularly care for "a battery of management tools" for lynx.cfg,
but I don't see how this has something to do with it.

Or is it that you have developed your own "management tools" for lynx.cfg
and think this would upset them?  If yes, please be more specific.

> Why not leave it up to the user to include the global file if they want
> to?  Is your proposal so different from the following?
> #INCLUDE:~/.lynx.cfg:INCLUDE [other allowed settings]

I don't know what you mean by that.  Just one line without explanation?
What exactly, from the current lynx.cfg and/or my suggested additions,
do you propose to replace by that line?

Anyway, my suggested pointer-to-the-end would come before the
   # Starting with Lynx 2.8.2, ...
part, it doesn't have anything to do with the "yet more powerful" INCLUDE.

Another question (IMO) is whether the stuff about the "more powerfule"
INCLUDE starting with "Starting with Lynx 2.8.2, ..." should also be
moved to the end.  You may want to suggest that separately.

> If your additions HAVE to always be at the end of lynx.cfg, you end up
> creating yet another maintenance burden.  I just wanna scream.

It's commented out.  You can ignore it.  It's commentary / explanation
/ a suggestion.  My additions don't HAVE to be at the end, that's just
the place where the INCLUDE most likely achives what most people want
by just un-commenting it.  Administrators and users who want to spend
more time with lynx.cfg than just un-commenting and changing some
options in place can to whatever they like, as always.  I don't see
how this creates any burden for you.  Or for anyone who installs lynx,
unless they specifically choose not to ignore it.

   Klaus