Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:28:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Bastille Day, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
>> We agree the current/ancient implementation of 'style stack' is incomplete.
>> its use in HTML.c is inconsistent, a mess & nearly incomprehensible.
>> So I don't blame you for working around it a/a cleaning it up.
>> But working-around for a specific purpose makes things more complicated
>> & is probably how the mess came into existence in the first place.
> Yes, seems lynx development is turned into lynx hacking IMO:
> code is badly documented, nobody wishes to spent a lot of time on it.

i'm delighted to see two of our senior programmers agreeing
on something i've been grumbling about for a long time.

>> Cleaning up style usage in HTML.c isn't really revolutionary
>> and wouldn't have immediately noticeable effects
>> so it's not an attractive project, but *someone* should do it...
> Yes, there are a lot of things in lynx someone should do..

what it probably needs is more mutual encouragement
when people do occasionally undertake the more mundane tasks,
with a generally higher priority for `customer service'
a/a exclusive concentration on `R & D'.