Re: lynx-dev README.TSST

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev README.TSST
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:23:59 -0700 (PDT)

Klaus Weide wrote:
> Here's a vapourware announcement.
>
> Well it's not complete vapour, it exists, but still needs some work.
> Part of the purpose of this announcement is to give me a reason to
> finish it up... (strike the "it wasn't too difficult" below, I guess,
> although for really-SIMPLE tables it's true.)
>
> If someone wants a patch (which may not apply cleanly to an existing
> dev.N) right now, in unfinished but mostly working state, send mail
> to me directly.
>
>     Klaus

Um, Wow, this sounds tres' cool.  I wonder if the fella who is working on
Truly Justified Paragraphs could share the "decide to cram spaces in" logic.
I like the proposed support for the paragraphs at the last columns of TSST
tables.  I also like the look of the table with a prefixing HR-made-of-dots,
I wonder if there's some way you could have TSST tables marked of like that.

I recommend you just go ahead and unset the TSST flag if the beginning TABLE
tag declares a BORDER="0" attribute.  In my experience, that seems to declare
that the author is only using it for layout style, and not for tabular content.
Anybody know any exceptions?

> To summarize:
>  - TSST is a solution that works in many cases where lack of tabular support
>    was most annoying.
>  - TSST doesn't implement a full table model, and it is extremely unlikely
>    that it will ever be the basis for that.  So keep on exploring
>    those external solutions, or perhaps waiting for (better: working on) a
>    fundamental redesign of Lynx's rendering engine.

(light bulb over head!) my goodness, I just thought of an idea that might
tend to render data in a way that looks like tables, but still reads sanely,
and can be implemented in lynx' SoCR (Stream of Consciousness Rendering)
style.  Um, I'll describe it in an additional message, so it can grow its
own thread.  I think TSST will do great.

I eagerly await when it's ready for power users to try.

* Heather Stern * address@hidden * Starshine Technical Services *