Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:46:51 -0700

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 02:44:54PM -0400, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> vi (and clones) all can match curly braces with the '%' command.  I understand
> emacs has something equivalent.

For all the work you do on the computer, please go learn
emacs.  Maybe 19.34.1 as version, or the soon to be released
20.4 (maybe).

It is the most fantastic package -- those of us who use
it "live" in it, we do EVERYTHING (except log into shell acct)
from the *shell* window we all create.

Three newsgroups about it too.

And it works on nt, so I read.

And is of course free.

If you have wide screen (eg 20in) you can usefully use
the split screen into two side-by-side areas, and with one
of the jillion sub-packages you can freely download, you
can make the left one "wrap" into the right one, for eg
140 or 160 or whatever it is, lines to see at one time.

Includes, I think, the kitchen sink, plus the psychiatrist
Eliza, plus dired, plus .. whatever you or someone wants
to code up in elisp (emacs lisp).

EXCELLENT documentation, of both emacs and emacs lisp,
also on hacking emacs (O'Reilly).  The gnu doc is written
by Stallman himself, who is some kind of genius, for sure.

(Even won one of those "genius" awards)

vi and ex (same thing) has its place, especially for
quickie jobs done super-fast, or on shell accounts or
maybe via telnet, but for standard use, emacs is simply
unbelievable.

One feature is "ediff", which runs diff, takes the result,
shows the two diff'ed files, with colors showing the differences,
with even 2nd colors showing differences WITHIN lines.

And that's just one of a jillion features.  On those newsgroups,
you'll find lots of people contributing new features, revising
them, ...   Also answering newbie questions.

And it has "modes": c-mode, tex-mode, etc, etc, that "know"
how to do "the right thing".

Just an amazing program.  Only a true genius could have created
it, and that's exactly who did create it.

It's been around since the late 70's, first on MIT's
own os, then dec-10 and 20, then vax, then unix, each
time with yet more features.

Please learn it; you will learn to LOVE it.

JMHO

David