Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev patch - "JUSTIFY"
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:15:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Combs wrote:
>For all the work you do on the computer, please go learn
>emacs.  Maybe 19.34.1 as version, or the soon to be released
>20.4 (maybe).

Sorry, you will not get me to join your little cult.

Darn, I can't repeat it, but I tried to vi /usr/dict/words (206662
bytes) and it came up almost instantly.  emacs /usr/dict/words took
2-3 seconds, but I can't repeat it (it's cached or something).

Plus I had to go to another screen and kill emacs since I couldn't figure out
how to quit. (JUST as hard in vi, I'm not trying to argue this point.)
^G would show "Quit" at the bottom of the screen but wouldn't do anything.

Anyhow, if emacs will automagically reformat the source into the way I like
(matching curly brackets vertically), then when I save and quit put it back
the way it was, maybe maybe I'll learn to use it (because it has a 'vi mode',
right?)..  Other than that, vim does what I need, and has the improvements
to vi that I like (visual selection the most).  I do wish there were
some more "gui-ish" things sometimes, like find/replace 'dialogs' in text,
but not many.