Re: lynx-dev change to status line

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev change to status line
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:06:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Eduardo Chappa L. wrote:

>   Yes, 'E' and return allows you to check something that you can
> immediately read. and "]", "l" and left arrow sure, got me the information.
> Now, why do you need to press two keys when you can read it? Info ('=') is
> the same situation. :)

I just *suspect* that I will dislike the new 'abbreviated URL' feature,
and would want to turn it off.  Not having tried it, I can't really
say for sure.

(Up to now, what I see on the statusline - even if it's only partial -
is exactly as in the URL Lynx will use.  Now I have to worry whether
a /.../ stands for something else or really for "/.../".  To find
out for sure I have to go to '=' or similar...)

Could you describe how you deal with

"-more-
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/07/14/1846204&mode=thread&threshold=-1";

or
http://www.news.com/cgi-bin/acc_clickthru?clickid=000018141e3acc4100000000&adt=pfsa
s-button&edt=39098&cat=thenet-pf&site=NE

(one URL with long query part)?

Well, maybe this isn't a bad idea.  Since the "hard part" (the decisions
where and what to truncate a URL) aren't really bound to the statusline
format, maybe you could make an even more general function for "shortening
a URL for display"?  (A function that would take a URL string and a max.
length parameter.)  That could then be used in some other places where
URLs are too long for display, I am thinking of the form field statusline
messages with a URL (see show_formlink_statusline in LYForms.c), and maybe
some cookie prompt messages.

You see, I don't really know... I'd just prefer to have a choice
until I'm convinced.

   Klaus