Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.4 - --force-empty-hrefless-a

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.3dev.4 - --force-empty-hrefless-a
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:50:02 +0500 (SAMST)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > >   [most of changelog snipped]
>
> It seems this change just enables a bit of code that was always there
> but commented out (with '#ifdef NOTUSED_FOTEMODS'), and makes it
> configurable at runtime.  At least get rid of the NOTUSED_FOTEMODS
> reference, since it isn't unused any more.

 May be I had to got rid of NOTUSED_FOTEMODS.

> Please give some examples of docs where this improves things.  Instead of
> this hack, there should be a better way to recover.  If lynx doesn't, then
> maybe we should make it do so, instead of masking the problem.

 Try this (especially with color-style lynx).
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/rhl/RHL-6.0-Manual/install-guide/manual/doc026.html

 (to see the screen I see, you can use /samples/mild-colors.lss from the
distro - everything is green (colored in the color corresponding to <a>)
because the <a name=foo> at the begining are not closed (this file is produced
by "dlh" translator). I don't have lynx without lss, but seems the screen will
be awful like this too. Then try with --force-empty-hrefless-a (it will close
hrefless are as they seen, so the screen will be correct).

> > > Will this still correctly handle my favorite way of stubbing off hotlinks
> > > which have been brought to question:
> > >   <A HREF="http://www.example.com/";>Example Widget Supply House</a>
> > > becomes
> > >   <A stub="http://www.example.com/";>Example Widget Supply House</a>
> > >
> > > ...making it easy for me to reinstate the hotlink quickly when the issue
> > > is resolved.
> >
> >  What do you say by "correctly handling"? (I read your description of
> > "stubbing"). This mode is turned on by commandline switch (and/or lynx.cfg
> > setting) - in this mode such part of html won't get the color of the "a".
>
> Don't think color-style-centric, most people don't use color styles.
>
> There is also a dependence on whether BOLD_HEADERS is used (which
> otherwise, I think, does have no effect on color-style coloring).
>
> I invented the SET_SKIP_STACK hack, but never checked whether using
> it messes up the color-style stack of color styles; I suspect it does.

 I didn't use this mode (since I don't read RH-install guide), but when I
start working with Sybase, I'll use it. I hop SET_SKIP_STACK hack works OK.

>     Klaus

BTW, go to
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/rhl/RHL-6.0-Manual/install-guide/manual/
 and see how ugly the text at the bottom is. These are H1 !! Why there is no
line breaks there?!

 Best regards,
  -Vlad