Re: lynx-dev new tables idea for SoCR

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev new tables idea for SoCR
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:02:16 -0400

Unfortunately, Home Page Reader, from IBM Special Needs Systems, is not
open source, but a big executable for Win95/NT.  Maybe I can extract part
of the documentation for you.  The basic idea is that it provides a method
for moving around within a table, hearing a cell at a time, probably
prefixed by the row or column header.  They tried to follow the HTML 4.0
spec as much as possible.  This is probably only one of two good examples
right now.  The other example is the W3 browser running in Emacs, with T.V.
Raman's emacspeak extensions.

At 11:58 PM 7/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
>address@hidden wrote:
>> Heather, I like the basic idea of a stair-step format in lieu of
tabulation.

>> Tables-to-audio is a pretty hot topic.
>>
>> The new Home Page Reader from IBM sets a high standard for making tables
>> comprehensible in audio.  You might want to get one and get the idea of
>> how it works.
>
>Does it work in Linux?  I'll go look.  I suppose I better get around to
making
>sound work on my box again - I installed a new rev and haven't gotten around
>to dispensable services yet ;)

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <address@hidden>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
HOME:  <address@hidden>   <http://lras.home.sprynet.com