Re: lynx-dev README.TSST

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev README.TSST
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

Vlad writ merrily:
>>>  What are you working on currenlty (in TSST area)? What do you plan to add
>>>  to the files you sent me? (Seems color styles are not yest supported).

:( I like colors...

>  I thought we can introduce a special mode in which only the given table will
> be displayed, but with horiz. scrolling allowed (activated by activating
> special link above the table).
>
>  I didn't looked into the code, but will it emit empty line before and after
> the table, and may be one horz. line after the table header (this will allow
> drawing borders around the table later)? If not, can you try to emebed
> (without testing) the logic (possibly wrapped into cpp conditionals) that will
> emmit blank line before and after a table, and after the header?
>  (As I understood your patch, it doesn't change the number of lines in
> the text wrt old "table rendering version").

OK that was a bit convoluted, lets see if I got it: when you see a TABLE emit
a blank line.  It may or may not be a waste.  Do normal stuff.  When you see
/TABLE emit a blank line.  Decide if it qualifies for TSST, if yes, patch the
text lines, and draw ................. big HR rules on the two blank lines.
Later option to draw the borders down each edge too.

I don't see the harm in two extra blank lines for a table that couldn't be
TSST'd.  Screen estate is tight, but it might help me figure out this had been
a table anyway.  The only oddity I see is if the webmaster also put P's or
BR's of his own to space off the table;  then these line breaks should be
merged, or it will waste screen after all.

* Heather