Re: lynx-dev 'reloading' lynx.cfg (was: options (more, please))

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 'reloading' lynx.cfg (was: options (more, please))
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:09:05 +0400 (MSD)

16-Jul-99 06:24 Klaus Weide wrote:

> How well does it work now?

> When I last tried it there seemed to be several problems.
> That was around the time I changed the restrictions checking
> (don't use LYRestricted flag directly etc.). I remember:
>  - cookie file name got corrupted  (I found cookies were written
>    at end of session to a file with a name of 8 arbitrary
>    characters)
>  - Something strange happened to colors on reloading

> I planned to investigate those, but haven't done so.  Maybe
> those were temporary problems that have disappeared since
cookie file will not be changed with reload_read_cfg() - file name restored
after your tweaks, now in 2.8.3devXX and 2.8.2 fixes.

> then, but I approach that RELOAD link with caution since then
> (well, I have kept away from it).

> The handling of some of the lynx.cfg options is written in a way
> that just assumes that the file is only loaded once, also that
> it happens 'early' (e.g. before color or curses is initialized)
> and that LYMain.c may do something to the options after they
> have been read (but before entering into mainloop).  I expect
> there are numerous things that won't work exactly right without
In general - yes.
I estimate a dozen of options will not work properly from reload_read_cfg()
currently (I mean some staff after read_cfg() in main(), but you pointed out
to colors, thanks).
Another issue is the interference with command line options (if any): they are
ignored after reloading lynx.cfg at present. Also, few options from lynx.cfg/
command line switches are implemented the old way and are ignored in tables so
will not be reloaded (mostly restrictions - OK).

> further tweaks, although most options that are simple boolean
> flags may be ok.

> What happens to the seetings that add to a list - like PRINTER,
> DOWNLOADER, UPLOADER, VIEWER, RULES.  I expect that, without
> "clearing" those lists, each reloading of the .cfg file will
> just grow them.

No, these lists are cleared in reload_read_cfg(),
was done before 2.8.2 release.