Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:16:50 -0400 (EDT)

> Adding this patch, without any fallback for those who can't get their
> TERM description right, suddenly increases the requirements for using
> lynx-with-slang.  We are not talking about adding more encouragement
> for Bad Things, but about taking away something that "worked" (for
> many people at least).

Only partly - they're (I assume) setting their $TERM to something other
than the terminal description that comes with rxvt, e.g., "vt100" or
"xterm" - or "ansi" or "linux".

> Actually, with the code as it is now, lynx-with-slang has become *more*
> strict than lynx-with-ncurses: the latter still uses all the ancient
> hardcoded sequences in LYgetch_for, which are not in the code path for
> slang.

slang uses a piece of that (look at the djgpp code).  I'd clean up some of
it, but haven't (til recently) gotten the pieces to do test builds.

> > That chunk of code is really for VMS.  (apparently the termcap support in
> > slang isn't portable to non-Unix platforms).  The VMS support is really
> > the only valid justification for the table.
>
> But the table seems to be used even with ncurses.  (Before this change at
> least; I didn't verify whether dev.4 changed that)

It's used in ncurses as part of making the behavior in
lynx_initialize_keymaps() mirror that of slang.  That in turn was designed
to replace the chunk of hardcoded assignments at the top of LYgetch_for().

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden