Re: lynx-dev How do you install the version for win98/98

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How do you install the version for win98/98
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:45:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Yemi Zewdu wrote:

> I have downloaded and unzipped the Win32 version.  But I do not know what
> to do after that.  How do I install it so that I can get to it?  I was
> unable to find info re: this matter.

Which Win32 version did you get, the one from fdisk or the one from
Japan? In general, if this is your first installation of lynx for
Win32, you need to edit lynx.cfg for your preferences, especially
putting in paths for HELPFILE and probably STARTFILE. Then make a
batch file with the environment variables set (HOME and LYNX_CFG are
the key variables). It should invoke the lynx executable as its last
line. Then right-click on the batch file and make a shortcut. Cut and
paste the shortcut onto your desktop and/or taskbar. Sample batch
files are available at "http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm";.
If you are using the files from Japan, you probably don't want to use
the lynx.cfg configured for Japanese use, but rather the unaltered
distribution version. Also make sure that you are referencing the help
files in English. There is no Windows-style "install" program. Write
back if this still doesn't help.
                              Doug

__
Doug Kaufman