Re: lynx-dev REUSE_TEMPFILES problem (more)

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev REUSE_TEMPFILES problem (more)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:05:25 +0900 (JST)

> Actually, my suggested change isn't good, it would still leave the
> older versions hanging around...  (only until Lynx exits, I hope).
[...]
> being appended, but multiple files piling up.  (like what you

On single-user systems, not so bad maybe, but on limited-resource,
multi-user systems, the leaving of all these files until Lynx exits
can put a strain on the system.  Might be worthwhile to simply erase
the temp files Lynx creates when calling the Option Menu, Information
Page, compile time options, etc, or not even create them in the first
place.  The very systems which require _seconds_ to create these pages,
are most likely to be the systems still in the MB era.  Any modern
machine will create these pages within not even a flicker of the
screen, and writing them to disk probably takes the most time.

I hit the 'o' key, and I get:
-rw-------   1 henry        8424 Jul 17 12:15 L2330-1TMP.html
That file stays around until I either exit Lynx, or, of all
things, I hit the 'o' key again, in which case I get
-rw-------   1 henry        8424 Jul 17 12:31 L2330-7TMP.html
I immediately hit 'u', and then 'o', and what do I have but:
-rw-------   1 henry        8424 Jul 17 12:35 L2330-8TMP.html

IMO, these files should be erased as soon as Lynx moves off
of the Option Menu, not wait to erase it just before creating
the Option Menu again, or until exiting.

BTW, this is exactly the logic I was questioning WRT the temp
files left when uncompressing a file.  At the time I thought
Klaus's solution was good, but then I asked myself "do you
really want to put `rm` anywhere in .mailcap"?  I said no, and
have decided to continue to have Lynx erase files _it_ creates
as soon as it is done with them (so what if it pulls the rug
out from under something working in the background  -- that
something should not be using Lynx's personal files, unless
Lynx specifically relenquishes all control, i.e., passes a copy
to the other app).

__Henry