Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:07:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | Adding this patch, without any fallback for those who can't get their
> | TERM description right, suddenly increases the requirements for using
> | lynx-with-slang.  We are not talking about adding more encouragement
> | for Bad Things, but about taking away something that "worked" (for
> | many people at least).
>
> I dunno if it's really a question of "getting the TERM description
> 'right'" or not.
>
> Between twiddling with various termcap/terminfo entries, stty, .screenrc
> "tweaks", tcsh "settc's", and probably a few other things, I've been
> using the same setup for a couple years on FreeBSD without any problems
> with any apps, and in a variety of circumstances (telnet, dialup, etc).
>
> Now (with this change), lynx no longer works.
>
> Please tell me what to change in any/all the above terminal-related
> entities so lynx will work again (without breaking any other app).

Of course that's impossible to answer without knowing exactly what
those years of twiddling did to your 'various termcap/terminfo entries,
stty, .screenrc "tweaks", tcsh "settc's", and probably a few other
things'.

> Or provide a "backout patch" to undo the recent damage ... :-) ...!

Manually change the 'static Keysym_String_List table[]' within
'setup_vtXXX_keymap' in LYStrings.c.  Replace the "^(..)" in the
second column with the string in the first column, for each row
where this is 'necessary'.  Extra points if you figure out exactly
for which rows this is necessary (in your situation).

Alternatively: comment out the '#define USE_KEYMAPS' in LYCurses.h.
You lose manual escape sequence configuaration via .lynx-keymaps as
well as slang mouse support, you gain that the 'traditional' hardcoded
escape sequences are recognized.   (This should still work - let me
know if it doesn't.)

But do continue trying to find out from Tom how you're supposed to do it
the Right Way...

   Klaus