Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:35:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > dev.4 deprecates some hardcoded escape sequences in favor of what's
> > defined in the terminfo - perhaps your $TERM points to something that has
> > the cursor keys in application mode or vice versa (e.g., \EOA versus
> > \E[A).

The terminal capabilities model forces upon us the need to pick the
'right one' of \EOA or \E[A.  This is a limitation of the termcap/terminfo
semantics.  You cannot express in the terminfo file that '"\EOA" is key_up
and "\E[A" is key_up, too'.  Yet that's exactly what's needed.  The in-
capability of the capabilities model causes no end of problems.

Please correct me if the above is wrong.

If it isn't, then sticking with only and exactly what terminfo says would
be just stubbornness.  It serves no good purpose to not recognize \E[A
as the same as \EOA, or vice versa, for any vtXXX-like terminals and
emulators.  It might, theoretically, serve some purpose for some
applications that distingush between the two keypad modes in a useful
way.  I don't know any for Unix.  Certainly lynx in not one.

Again, please correct if I am wrong.

> I have the same problem on Solaris (terminfo) and FreeBSD (termcap) with
> slang 1.3.7. The cursor keys don't work, only the numeric keypad.
>
> Ismael

This isn't the only message of this kind, there'll be a steady trickle
of them (if not an all-around uprising of the masses :)) until lynx
again provides some sensible fallback for at least the arrow keys, for
slang.

The alternative of convincing all those users that it's their fault,
or their system's fault, or their sysadmin's fault, and 'here's what
you have to do' etc., just isn't realistic.

   Klaus