Re: lynx-dev javascript jump (was: change to status line)

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev javascript jump (was: change to status line)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 08:25:27 -0700 (PDT)

David Woolley wrote:
>>> -more-
>>> javascript:jumpLink('/interactive/specials/9907/hemingway.familyt.../')
> >
> > !! That's a pretty simple construct, can't we treat
> >    javascript:jumplink('URL-here')
> > as
> >    URL-here
> > for the purposes of hotlinks?
>
> jumplink is a user defined function, and could be called almost anything
> the programmer liked.  Most often these things take a URL relative to
> a base which is included in function definition.

:(  oh well!

> If this function didn't have side effects, it could be written as
> javascript:location.href='.......',  or more simply as ...... :-).

:)  Yeah, I'm all for people not using js in straight href's.  In order
to be effective complaining about it I probably have to learn a bit more
though --

I think not so many webmasters are malicious to lynx et al, as insufficiently
creative with Big Two special features, to keep them from invading the old
"ordinary" tags.

> (It may be stereotyped code from a particular authoring tool, so might
> be predictable for all pages produced by that version of that tool.)

Would we want to special case such codes if the tool properly embeds
"Generator" metas in the HEAD?

* Heather