Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev4+Slang 1.3.8: arrow keys not working?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 13:15:00 -0400

On Sat, Jul 17, 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | > Please tell me what to change in any/all the above terminal-related
> | > entities so lynx will work again (without breaking any other app).
> |
> | Of course that's impossible to answer without knowing exactly what
> | those years of twiddling did to your 'various termcap/terminfo entries,
> | stty, .screenrc "tweaks", tcsh "settc's", and probably a few other
> | things'.
>
> Of course it is (impossible), which is why I said it in that tongue-in-
> cheek manner.
>
> The point being that *in the real world* getting term-stuff working
> "right" is not, never has been, and probably never will be a "simple
> process" (such as just specifying a termcap/terminfo entry).  Yes, it
> *should* be that simple, but that's "theory", not "practice".
>
> BTW, "right" in the above is defined as doing the expected operation
> for all apps when said functions are invoked (and not doing incorrect
> things when they are not).  It doesn't mean adhering to some formal
> standard (though that would be nice, too) ... it means "working".

My termcap/terminfo entries may or may not be broken.  dev.4 stopped
working. mutt, slrn and most do work.  I'm all for doing things a
standard way in Lynx.  Maybe I'll go buy the ORA termcap book now, so
that I can use a Lynx that does things the standard way.

> See below.
[...]
> What really annoys me, is that the dev.4 change seems to me to be totally
> gratuitous.  I don't recall anyone complaining that they were having
> problems with arrow keys in recent lynx-dev messages (though I could
> have missed something).  Also, I didn't see anything specifically about
> the change in CHANGES (unless the reference to someones broken F1 key
> was the precipitating problem).
>
> Now there's been what, three or four reports of "my arrow keys are
> busted now" already, from people who didn't have any problems before,
> with more sure to "trickle in", as you said elsewhere.

Consider me another.

If we're having this many problems, something should DEFINITELY be
included at release time, because I'd expect this to bite a number of
users, and I don't expect anyone wants to see "Why don't my arrow keys
work with 2.8.3?" every couple days.

--
We don't care.  We don't have to.  We're the Phone Company.