Re: lynx-dev problems with lynx and hotmail.com

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problems with lynx and hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:32:58 -0700

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 08:16:58AM -0400, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> From: Koen Breugelmans <address@hidden>
> > Alert!: This client does not contain support for HTTPS URLs.
> > I wonder if lynx has support for this HTTPS URLs.
> > when i look in the configuration file, for configuring my proxy, there is a
> > line to specify a HTTPS proxy.
>
> > Is this just a future option or am i using the wrong version of lynx?
>
> HTTPS support is not shipped with lynx due to various international laws
> impacting the topic of encryption software and software patents.  However,
>
> Would it be worthwhile for us to add a paragraph regarding https (and perhaps
> javascript/java, frames/tables, and binary distributions) to the README
> since there are so frequently questions about these topics?

Since such subjects are not JUST about compiling and installing,
but are things the USER should also know about, or at least
the possibility of, such things should ALSO go into the
manual, maybe an appendix of.

Merely cut-n-pasted there, as eg "portions of the README file
of likely interest to some users".

David