lynx-dev Some comments regarding DOS port of Lynx

From: Harri Tuominen
Subject: lynx-dev Some comments regarding DOS port of Lynx
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 02:07:36 +0300

Hello all,

I use DOS port of Lynx, and it works very well most of the time. It is a
good thing that this kind of browser is still being developed, because
there are probably thousands of DOS users around, who use text browsers,
Braille displays, screen reading software etc.

But lately I have had some problems in accessing cookies. The
situation is same in Lynx 2.8.2rel.1 and 2.8.3dev.3. I use both every
day.

The actual problem is that although I have set all
cookie-related stuff 'true' in the lynx.cfg file, cookies are not
stored between Lynx sessions (COOKIE_FILE:~/_cookies.lyn). Every time
when I start Lynx, it takes some time to access the site which is using
cookies because the cookie jar is empty. There were no this kind of
difficulties in the earlier development versions. I guess that this is
not an environment variable problem, becaus bookmarks and other things
are OK.

I have also noticed that the charset translation feature doesn't work in
2.8.3dev.3 with NNTP connections. I use cp850, and normal Web pages are
changed from iso-8859-1 to this charset correctly.

The latist DOS port seems to be a little bit slower than for example
2.8.2rel.1. I have a V.90 modem. Usually I get connections between 48000
and 50000 bps. I have compared how fast both Lynx versions can download
a HTML document. 2.8.2rel1 can get my default index file about 8192
bytes/sec, while 2.8.3dev.3 gets the same file at the speed of under 3000
bytes/sec. I use Uka_ppp package with epppd from dosppp06.zip. All files
are retrieved through a proxy server.

Otherwise Lynx is running extremely fine. These are just some
interesting findings.

--
Harri