Re: lynx-dev Configuration Info

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Configuration Info
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:24:38 -0400 (EDT)

990720 Doug Young wrote:
> when I try to start lynx
> it looks like its trying to find the server homepage,
> but then it stops and complains about not finding "startfile".
> I looked at the lynx.cfg and at the MAN page but both are totally confusing

there is a long-standing problem
that Lynx developers have not taken `user support' as seriously as `R & D',
so that documentation has tended to get neglected.
my `Lynx Help For Beginners' is designed for novices:
it's on the Main Help Page or via  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/lhfb.html .

yours is very FAQ, which should have been dealt with
by providing a screen advising users that the startfile can't be found,
with suggestions for what to do next, incl going to another URL;
unfortunately, no-one has got around to programming that so far.
your current problem can be solved by entering  lynx .  (yes, just a dot),
which will call up your current directory
& allow you to use Lynx normally from that point on;
or try  lynx file://localhost/p ,
where for `p' you substitute the full path to a file you know to exist.

make sure you're using the latest 2-8-2 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ .