Re: e: lynx-dev [BUGS 2.8.3.dev4] partial, off-by-one

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: e: lynx-dev [BUGS 2.8.3.dev4] partial, off-by-one
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:13:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> >On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> >> b) In a lot of situations I see the "-more-" prompt written one char
> >>    too early: first dash is on the last column of the last-but-one
> >>    line.  The resulting scrolling messes up the display (AHA, probably
> >>    the opposite: it is written on the last position of the last line,
> >>    but the scrolling moves it to the previous line).
> >>
> >>    The simplest way to reproduce it here is to do
> >>
> >>    h ^L
>
> Or easier: open .html.gz file, press ^L.
>
> >If your problem is that your curses library cannot deal with
> >positioning on the last screen position without somehow leading to
> >scrolling, AND you cannot avoid that with the right setting of
> >-show_cursor, you should probably talk to "HV"; in MainLoop.c:
> >
> >    /* turn off cursor since now it's probably on statusline -HV */
> >    move((LYlines - 1), (LYcols - 1));
>
> a) Cursor can be placed at LR corner without any problem (with no .gz).
>
> b) -show_cursor does not change anything;
>
> c) Applying the patch does not change anything.

Ok, so it seems to be something different then.

> I ran several TERM=debug sessions.
>
> ======== As shown after ^L (do not wrap lines!)
>

>    http://www.wfbr.edu/, and wfbr/dir/lynx will be treated as
>    http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx, but gopher.wfbr.edu/11/_fileserv/_lynx
>
>  -
> more- file://localhost/F:\emx.add\lib\lynx_help\lynx_url_support.html.gz#http
>
> ======== TERM=debug output before ^L (wrapped):

> nx<me> will be treated as<cm31,3><md>http://www.wfbr.edu/dir/lynx<me
> ://localhost/F:\emx.add\lib\lynx_help\lynx_url_support.html.gz#http<
> me><cm2,9><mr>http, https<me><cm32,79>
                                ^
That is recognizably the move() from the quote above (or an equivalent
one).  So is your screen size really 80 x 33?  And do all three involved
parties agree on that? - i.e. Lynx, ncurses, and the window itself?

> ======== TERM=debug output after ^L

... looks just too weird.  Instead of the 'll' (lower left) before the
"-more-" there is now all sorts of garbage which may or may not position
the cursor in the lower left position.
  But it looks to me like this is a problem with ncurses on OS/2, not
with Lynx itself.

    Klaus