Re: lynx-dev Problems with lss - color style support

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problems with lss - color style support
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 05:37:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Andreas Gösele wrote:
Sure enough I found the lynx.lss file and
> how to change the color of let's
> say text, headings, bold and other objects. What I didn't find was how
> to change the general
> background (which is now black) to something else. (I would like to work
> with a gray or white
> background and dark text, or alternatively with yellow on a blue
> background as standard.)

You should also find at least two other example .lss files.  If they
are not included in your package, (1) complain to the package creator
and (2) get them e.g. from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>
(look under "breakout" if you just want those files).

If you seriously want to use the experimental color style stuff, you
should probably compile the latest 2.8.3dev.N code from source, there
have been some improvements in that area.

> My questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to configure lynx (compiled with lss support) so that
> the general background
> gets a different color than black? (If not, I think this should be
> possible in future releases)

It should be possible, see the blue-background example, but you may have
to add the background color explicitly to all styles in the .lss, and also
specify a style for "normal" explicitly.

You may use "default" in place of a color, but how that works out may
depend on terminfo and ncurses version used.

This is from memory; you probably have to experiment.  Consider sharing
your experiences with us. :)

> 2) If this is not possible, is there a way to get the old way of color
> configuration in lynx.cfg back
> without installing a version without lss support?

No, it's either one or the other.

  Klaus